Τετάρτη 10 Φεβρουαρίου 2016

Potato and Chicken Casserole – Картофельная Запеканка с Курицей По-Французски




Potato Chicken Casserole (500x334)



It was a sunny, June afternoon. We had all my things that I had accumulated as a single gal, plus all the wedding gifts that we’d gotten packed into the car. My childhood home was warm and inviting as usual, filled with conversations and comfortable sounds. I was about to leave the only home I had even known and my family to start my new life as a married woman. It was a bittersweet day – I had married the most wonderful guy on earth (of this I am 100% sure!) but we all knew that I would be miles away, 1335 miles, to be exact.

Life changing moments like this have a way of being stamped in our memories. I remember the feelings, the sounds and the smells. The aroma of the Potato Chicken Casserole wafting from the kitchen throughout the whole house. I don’t think I ate much, since I usually lose my appetite when I’m nervous or emotional.

I remember hugging everyone good bye, Mom starting to cry, Dad getting choked up as we all prayed together. Every time I looked at my siblings I had these terrifying thoughts  playing in my mind – “I’m going to be the sister that lives far away and nobody really knows”, “I won’t get to see them grow up”, “they’re going to change so much”. I’ll never forget driving down the long driveway, and crying for miles, Sergi quietly holding my hand. Emotional, huh? I’m not even the emotional type:).

This is my favorite casserole. It beats Lasagna any day, in my opinion. It may not be pretty to look at, but it sure is tasty. It’s the character that counts anyway, right?

We’ve been making this in our family for years, and still love it just as much. It tastes very Russian:). Unlike most casseroles that I’ve eaten, this one doesn’t taste too heavy, but is still a hearty one dish meal. You have your potatoes and meat in one pan. The potatoes are tender and flavorful, but still hold their shape. The chicken is the crowning glory on top of the potatoes, and since we use chicken thighs, it’s so juicy and moist. For a crispy, golden crust, the chicken is spread with a bit of mayo and cheese.

Serves: 8

Ingredients


  • 2 lbs potatoes, Yukon gold (about 6 medium)
  • 1 onion
  • 1 carrot
  • ½ tablespoon butter or oil
  • 1½ - 1¾ cup half n half
  • salt, pepper, chicken seasoning
  • thyme
  • 8-10 chicken thighs
  • 3-4 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1½ - 2 cups mozzarella cheese
  • ¼ - ⅓ cup parmesan cheese


Instructions

Peel and cut the potatoes into long and thin rectangular sticks, about ¼ inches thick.
Finely chop the onion, and peel and finely shred the carrot on a box grater. Melt ½ Tablespoon of butter in a skillet, add the onion and carrot, and cook for 5-7 minutes, until they are soft.
Add the carrots and onion to the potatoes. Mix together, seasoning with salt, pepper, Montreal chicken seasoning, if using, and thyme. Place all of this into a 13x9 inch casserole dish.
Meanwhile, prep the chicken thighs. Remove the bone, skin and cut out all the grease that you possibly can.
Season on both sides with salt, pepper and Montreal Chicken Seasoning, if using.
Heat the half n half until it's almost boiling. Pour over the potatoes. It should barely cover the potatoes, but still not come to the top.
Place the chicken thighs on top of the potatoes.
Thinly spread the mayonnaise on the chicken thighs and sprinkle with cheese.
Cover with aluminum foil.
Bake for 1½ -2 hours at 350 degrees, until the potatoes are cooked through.

Source:

http://www.olgasflavorfactory.com/main-course/poultry/potato-and-chicken-casserole/

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου